Friday, March 25, 2011

The Art of Logging A Bed

My husband and I are fans of the log cabin, rustic decor.  We always wanted a log bed, but after visiting a few shops we were a little hesitate shelling out a couple thousand dollars for a bed.   "How about making one ourselves?" my husband asked.  I was a little nervous about taking on such a project but I thought we could do it.  That winter we started our project.  Hubby hoisted the saw up on his shoulder and off we headed into the woods.  We staked out several trees that we thought we straight and had "character" (a favorite term of my husband).  With our treasury dragging behind, we trotted off back home to stow away our find.  The logs sat in an old fishing shack from spring to late fall.  They had dried considerably.


We then hand peeled the logs and cut them to size.  We laid out the pieces and lettered them.  Each was hand sanded, which mind you took forever, the wood we had chosen was iron wood.  We doweled in each piece , resanded, and stained the final product.  All in all, the $2500 bed we fell in love with, cost us a total of $52.40 by making it ourselves, and in the end was way more valuable!


1 comment:

  1. Nice. I would love to have a old style cabin some day and that would go perfect.

    ReplyDelete